Thursday, June 11, 2015

I don't need passion, just a little satisfaction!

The beginning of May saw 13 people I've shared a part of my life with over the last 2 years graduate with their MBAs, and as I embark on my last remaining class having only taken one last summer (due to traveling with my family to Hawaii! No regrets!), I am finally beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. And with that light, as many questions as answers. I pour over articles lauding the value of an MBA and I hope.

I was talking with a girlfriend today about success and finances and goals, and in a little research for work I see the encouragement to take risks for what you want. But I'm still not sure what that is. I'm still not sure what I want to be when I grow up. (Although I rest assured that no matter what it is the MBA and these past 2 years have gotten me closer to it.) But what I really want is to be financially independent. To have the flexibility to spend ALL THE TIME with Adria that I can. I want to impact lives. But I don't know what THAT THING is. How can I reach for my goals, and how will I know when I've reached them, if I don't know what they are?

I've heard business leaders preach passion. Steve Jobs, multi-go-gillionaire and mega innovator, famously said "if you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know it when you find it. And like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on." He was also worth over $1,000,000 at the age of 23, over $10,000,000 at the age of 24, and over $100,000,000 at the age of 25. So in my humble opinion--easy for him to say!

I have also talked with numerous people whom I would consider successful in my own realm, and I know very few who would say they are living out their passion at work. So I am beginning to think that for the majority of us, fit and satisfaction are more important than passion. My goal: to find someplace where my skills and personality are seen as particular asset, with room to make an impact either on people, the business, or the bottom line, and room to grow.

I took Adria to the circus a year and a half ago or so, and after it all she decided she wanted to be an acrobat. I say, you go girl! When I was little, I wanted to be a ballerina-librarian-brain surgeon. Guess I was covering all my bases. But at this point, I don't know. I don't have the dream to chase, the passion to pursue. My dreams and passions live in the house with me. I work to live; I just want to enjoy it most of the time. And so I have more questions than answers. And I have another 6 weeks of classes until I will be newly qualified to start looking around. I have a certain personality and a certain set of skills. I'm in the market for fit and satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment