Friday, January 11, 2013

Highlights of the "in betweens"

I was talking to a friend just this morning; some days it's enough to just survive.  We'll thrive tomorrow.  The only problem with that is that there IS so much life and joy in today.  Even the todays I just only survive.  No doubt life hasn't looked the way I've wanted it to in the past few months.  Heck, in the past year and a half.  But this life, even today, is beautiful.  So I think I'm somewhere in between surviving and thriving.  I believe in the good.  And I am regaining myself and creating the life I want more with each passing week. 

But that being said, here are some of the highlights of these last few "in betweens":

Adria continues to amaze me with her abilities.  Oh, her beauty too, of course, but mostly with her abilities.  And her joy of life.  She likes to "swim to duckie's house" in the bathtub, where she lays out on her tummy and floats around with her favorite 8 bath duckies, but only after donning her imaginary bathing suits.  Varied colors and styles each night. 

She loves to have tea parties.  She has at least 4 tea sets presently, and is a great hostess.  Sometimes she'll serve me pretend coffee or wine instead of tea.  Where do you think she got that from??

She is obsessed with Disney Princesses.  Obsessed.  In a perfectly healthy way that I may or may not encourage.  I WILL say that my brother and sister in law bought her EVERY Playskool Little People princess out there.  So I'm not the only one encouraging it.  Cinderella is her favorite.  Of course it's really the only movie I show her.  It happens to be my favorite too.  (Besides, some of those movies are SCARY!) 

But her favorite movie is what she calls "the funny movie!"  A dear friend of mine sent me a copy of "Despicable Me", and Gru, Margo, Edith, Agnes and the minions have quickly become dear to her little heart.  In fact she told me last night, "I love those girls."

It seems like she is finally settling into her big girl bed.  (Yes we did make that switch in May.  Yes I know that was 7 months ago.)  But she is staying in bed and sleeping through the night most nights, and she understands that I'll be going to bed in my room, and is generally accepting of the situation.

Did I mention potty training?  (I realize we've been working on that for 6 months too, but there's been a lot going on!)  Oh, but she's doing so well.  She's even staying dry at naptime, and helping her friend Avery at school to potty train!

She loves people.  She could make a big list of them.  Avery is definitely on the list.  And her teacher.  And Mommy and Daddy.  And cousin Brayden, and Gamma and Poppy, and....

She loves me.  She gives hugs and kisses.  Backs up to sit in my lap.  Still wants me to hold her and pick her up.  And snuggle her.  And hide under the covers with her.  Oh, she is such a joy.

She sings!  Loudly!  Sometimes songs I know, sometimes the cry of her own heart.  And. I. Love. It!

She's beginning to develop an imagination, and it's incredible to watch her play.  She loves her bunny above everything, and I'm certain she and Bunny will get themselves into all kinds of adventures. 

Christmas was almost overwhelming; she did get 5 BATCHES of presents!  But we had the most delightful New Year's together.  We counted down to bedtime by popping a balloon every hour for 5 hours prior with streamers, noise makers, confetti, beads and glittery horns, topped off by glow bracelets for bedtime. 

She loves books.  And can sing the whole alphabet song.  (Although she sometimes gets on a roll and passes right by H-I-J-K-L-M-N-O-P.)  And she can recognize a few letters, the most prominent being her "A".  And she can count to 20 (although she often forgets about 6, 14 and 15)!

AND, instead of just wildly coloring across a whole page, she'll color squiggles where she wants them to be--so flowers are pink, and kitties are a blue, etc.  AND, she can draw a happy face!  (Granted it's usually on my hand, but I still think it's pretty cool!) 

And to top it off, I'm getting the house in shape, decor-wise.  (A marginally unhealthy Pinterest obsession is helping with all things domestic.)  Don't get me wrong; it's still a mess, and the laundry still exists in piles.  But, I have curtains behind my bed, and my walls are changing colors!

There are hard times, and I often fall into bed exhausted.  I'm having to learn how to discipline Adria, and there's plenty for us to work through together.  She is 2 now, after all!  She has developed quite a little attitude: "go away", and "don't talk, mommy" are her 2 favorites.  She has got a strong will, and can throw an awesome tantrum.  We have a ways to go.  We have a lifetime to go.  But we belong together.  And the best days are yet to come. 


2 comments:

  1. I love this post! I'm so happy to hear about Miss A and all her personality. I can't wait to come for a visit soon and see it (and you!) for myself!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, your outlook on life in the midst of trials and heartache is so inspiring. You carry so much life and beauty. Have you read one thousand gifts by Anne Voscamp. I feel like you would really enjoy it. and Adria seems so sweet. Maybe our girls will get to meet one day. Much love.

    ReplyDelete