Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Oh woah, the sweetest thing

2 really big things are happening in our lives these days.  The first is that I'm expecting our second baby girl, Baby Maggie, due December 9, 2012, and the second is that Jason and I are doing that from 2 different households.  I guess the long and the short of it is that we both thought we could do it better this way. 

Separation, custody issues, juggling schedules, moving on, looking back--it's all just as lonely and depressing as it sounds.  And I just never really expected it.  So going through it makes me have a different sadness and appreciation for those who have walked this hard road.

But nothing made me sadder than our first counseling appointment--not to get back together, but to figure out how to separate well--when our counselor made a well intentioned joke about ping-pong ball children.  Really not that funny. 

But yesterday afternoon, I enjoyed the unexpected delight of keeping Adria an extra afternoon while Jason had to work on Labor Day.  And as we were settling down for her nap, I asked Adria if she wanted to sing to her Baby Maggie in Mommy's belly.  Without any further direction, she sat back on her heels and directed her attention to my stomach as she began to sing in the sweetest almost-two-year old voice, two words: "Don't worry."  She was singing Bob Marley's Three Little Birds (Don't worry about a thing, cause every little thing is gonna be alright) to our Baby Maggie.  And she was singing it to me. 

The single most important thing in the world right now is establishing an emotionally safe and stable, loving, healthy environment for Adria (and soon to be Maggie) to thrive and grow and be happy.  And yesterday afternoon as we were settling down for nap Adria repeated what she's heard from the both of us--don't worry about a thing, cause every little thing is gonna be alright.

1 comment:

  1. Beth, I'm so sorry you're going thru this. I know we haven't seen each other or spoken in years but I'm thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete