Sunday, June 5, 2011

Proud moment

I did it! This morning I completed My First Tri!

Let me start by saying, if I can do it, anybody can do it! For the last several months, I would go on my lunch breaks to the local pool and swim laps one or two days a week instead of going to see Adria at daycare. And in the evenings after I picked Adria up from daycare, if I had a bit of time before dinner and she wasn't falling asleep on me, I'd put her in the baby bike trailer we got for her and pull her around the neighborhood. Motivation: she loved it! But didn't always seem so thrilled when I'd huff and puff up our neighborhood hills--so in my head she was crying "faster, Mommy, faster!" And at night after she'd go to bed, I'd hop on the treadmill for a few miles. (Remember my "Grey's Anatomy workout plan"? Haha, well in conjunction with all this training, I have to confess that I've gotten a little addicted to that show as well!)

But part of the point of signing up for this thing was to see if I could do it! To see if I have what it takes. And then once I began to see that yes, it probably would be possible to finish a race like that, I wanted to do it well. I had 2 goals: finish strong! (That meant I wanted to swim, and bike, and run--no quitting and walking.) And I wanted to see if I could finish in under 2 hours.

And I did it! I finished, and finished well! And as a matter of fact, completely surprising me and blowing my mind, I finished it in 1:41!

Part of why this is such a big deal is because I have never thought of myself as one of those people. Those really active or fit people, or even one of those people who just goes and does cool unusual things. I have always just been average. So I thought I'd go and dabble in it, bring up the rear of the field, dragging myself across the finish line. I'm a new mom. I work full time. My face turns beet red and I sweat like a pig when I exercise. That's who I thought I was when I arrived this morning. But whether I was really competitive to anyone else or not, I blew my own expectations away. I was able to hang with the competition, I felt free, I felt fierce, I felt hard-core. I pushed it! And that makes me feel special! It makes me feel like this was a BIG DEAL. It makes me feel like I'm more than I thought I was.

Now don't get me wrong--I still finished 142nd out of 252. There was no win in me. But I wanted to run my own race, and in that, I beat myself, and I won.

3 comments:

  1. awesome Beth! I've been thinking I want to do a tri. I hate running so mixing in swimming and biking seems so much more appealing to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so proud of you and impressed with your hard work!!! Maybe one day you and I can do a tri together!

    ReplyDelete