Saturday, May 14, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

I woke up as usual this morning, to the sweet cooing of my daughter coming from her room across the hall. She hasn't learned how to say "mama" yet, so for now she just babbles and lets us know she's up. For the record--when she learns it, I'm toast. Putty in her hands.

This is my first Mother's Day, and from the start it was a beautiful day, mostly filled with appreciation for my dear husband and darling daughter, who turned me into a mother. From the moment I walked into her room and she spotted me, her clear baby-blue eyes lit up and she smiled a wide, open-mouthed smile for me, showing me not only the 2 chompers that have been coming in on bottom, but the one off centered upper tooth that makes me smile back and laugh every time I see it.

My darling and I, we ate, and played, and talked and watched a Baby Einstein video, and when she went down for a nap, I crawled back into my own bed to enjoy the luxury of a day meant just for me. While I was sleeping Jason and Adria prepared breakfast for ME, and our slow day together came into full swing. I had already planned what I most wanted for this Mother's Day, which was a lot of time with my dear family, and a lot of time spent doing not much of anything else! So we packed up to go to a local park, picked up sandwiches on the way and before long were stretched out in the sun, laying on a blanket in the grass by the lake. Adria played on the blanket, rolling, getting up on all 4's, and trying to climb over her Daddy and me, and generally making all kinds of grunts and chattering noises. When she discovered the grass we spent the rest of the time trying to keep her on the blanket!

When we'd lazed enough in the sun, Jason dropped me at the local AT&T store to pick up my Mother's Day gift--a new iPhone! (It's a little less glamorous than opening up a shiny package, but the contract is in my name, so I have to be the one to add a line, and he took my love on a ride in the car and she napped while I took care of business, so in my book this was just the thing to do and we all won.)

Back at the house there was more time for playing together before Jason prepared dinner, and we all enjoyed sitting around the table together--Jason and I eating the dinner he'd prepared, and Adria having an absolute ball getting started with finger foods. It was simply the best dining experience I've had in a while. From there it was bath time and bedtime, snuggling with and singing to my precious love before she went down for the night. She lights up my life, that little one does. She's changed everything. Everything in my world, in my day-to-day, and more than anything, in my heart. Just being with her is all I really want under most circumstances, so spending the day celebrating our relationship couldn't have been a richer and more lovely experience for me.

Once she was down for the night, my husband and I enjoyed the rest of the evening filled with no commitments and nothing that needed to get done, and as I laid my head down on my pillow that night of my first Mother's Day, I was so grateful.






1 comment:

  1. What great pictures!! And Happy Mother's Day to you. So glad you enjoyed your day and your precious little girl!

    ReplyDelete