Sunday, February 27, 2011

Letter to my daughter (13)

Dearest Adria,

You are 4 1/2 months old, and it has been a thrill for me to watch you start to interact with and explore your world. You'll never remember a time when you couldn't coordinate your hands or control your legs. You'll never remember a time when you couldn't speak, or even think using words. But I am watching you discover these things even now, and it's amazing. I was so excited when you started staring at your hands, opening and closing them and turning them over in front of your face, and then when you started stroking your toys, taking in the data your hands were gathering for you. I watched it open up a whole new world of experiences for you, and have loved having you touch me, and stroke my face. I'm watching you gain gross motor skills like being able to hold yourself sitting up, and am anxious for you to gain that skill, because of what it will open up for you.

As kind of an unexpected bonus for the new experiences you've been having, I think it's delighted you too. Tonight as I was giving you your bath, you started giggling for the first time. You've laughed before--a loud "ha" kind of sound, but tonight it wasn't just a laugh, it was laughter. And of course I started smiling and laughing all the more, and it seemed like we fed into each other for a few moments before moving onto the next thing. We were giggling!

I feel so protective over you, and take my job of teaching, training and guiding who you will become very seriously. But I am so looking forward to you developing a sense of security, self-confidence, and adventure, and watching as you continue to explore and experience the world out there meant for you.

I love you so much, and have never valued a person or experience the way I value these times with you. They, like you, are a gift.

All my love (and support), always.
Your mama

No comments:

Post a Comment