Monday, February 21, 2011

Adventures in daycare

We pulled Adria out of Joyland on Friday, and started her at Little Adventures childcare center this morning, bright and early.

One of the things I liked about Joyland was how organized and structured it appeared at first glance. It looked like a school. There were art projects on the wall, and the classroom doors were decorated for the seasons. It appeared to offer the structure we wanted, and I was excited about the learning opportunities Adria would get there. It was a bigger, newer, nicer room, and the kids stayed in that room until they turned 2. There could be a lot for Adria to gain by watching the older kids! Unfortunately, to put it mildly, we were disappointed. I found her dazed or dozing in a swing too many times. Engaged, or even napping in her own crib as opposed to narcotized in the swing too few times. I won't even get into the difficulty I had trying to get some kind of record of "when did she eat and sleep"? (Doesn't seem like that difficult a question to me.) And the staff just didn't seem to care about my girl. Seriously, I know that diaper was poopy, and that not everyone will love her. I get it. However, I am paying for these people to not only care FOR her, but ABOUT her. "I don't want to, but it's my job" is not good enough. That is what I expect, and that is what my money is good for.

Ironically, when I reviewed Little Adventures before, it seemed a little less organized, and a little less polished. It's an old house converted into a daycare, small, a little "busier" seeming. But cozy and caring. When I visited it last there were 2 babies asleep in their cribs, and 2 playing on the floor. Jason reviewed it again last week and was also really excited to make the switch. She'll be in an infant room--exclusively infants. There will be 6 little bitties in the room including Adria, all in a similar age/stage. I'm really hopeful for the amount of attention and interaction she'll be getting, that these folks will understand the importance of schedule and structure and a meaningful nap time, and now I'm hopeful she'll get to interact with those little bitties! (Basically any interaction will be good for her!) Sigh. Really I just want to find someplace that will love my daughter while I'm away. That could cover over a lot of other territory. It would be a huge thing for me to come in and find her playing. Is that so much to ask?

I'm going to visit and feed her on my lunch break, like I have always tried to do. It's a bit farther, but hopefully will be worth it. Like I said, I'm hopeful. I ache for her, both because I wish I could be with her, and because I want so deeply for her to be alright. Cared for, yes. Cared about, absolutely. So... we'll see how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. Aw I'm sorry you've had trouble with daycare. I hope your new one is much, much better!

    PS I added you on my new Facebook profile :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, I just had an idea...what if you guys move to Florida?! Not sure when Jason finishes school, but we would love some company, you guys could get jobs here, and I could take care of little Adria for you! If we want them to take this arranged marriage seriously, Bradford and she need to get some quality time together. I know it's a long shot, but something to consider...

    ReplyDelete