Friday, January 7, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

I'm not a big fan of making resolutions--in fact I'm a little resistant to the idea. If I need to change an activity or focus in my life, I shouldn't wait for the new year, and it would be good to always keep assessing how I'm doing as a wife, mother, daughter, friend, and person. And in my life, change is needed often, not just with one big push, once a year.

However, that being said, I received an encouraging forward in my inbox a few days ago because of New Years, I suppose, which did cause me to start thinking more about the type of person I want to be--now, and during my children's formative years, and even as I die. (For once, an internet forward that was just the right thing at just the right time! How infrequently does that happen??) In any event, there are 2 characteristics I want to add to my life and be known for. I want to be patient, and I want to be present.

AS a wife, mother, daughter, friend, and as a person, I want my life to be marked by patience, and consistency, and perhaps also constancy.

And I want to really be present for my life. I am a time waster by nature. (Good thing I work kinda fast to make up for it!) But I want to really hear when I listen. I want to laugh when I play. I want to be vulnerable when I love. I just want to really drink in the things of my life and be present, to serve both myself and those I'm doing this life with.

So a question I've been asking myself lately, which at least for the last 2-3 days has been effective is, "how can I make the most of this moment?" Whether it's feeding my daughter when I'm dogggg-tired, or when I'm nervous about some looming obligation or challenge, or irritated when I get cut off in traffic! If I'm a time waster in my own right, I don't have time to add laziness, or nervousness, or irritation to my life. (Of course some of those things are a part of life. But if I can stop and ask myself about how to best be present in some particular moment and CHOOSE, I want to choose better than that.)

So "how can I make the most of this moment?" Maybe it's opening the Bible and re-directing my nerves to prayer, or actually getting on the treadmill, or really listening when I'm talking to someone. It seems like those actions I could so easily resolve to do better at are served with this one: presence.

So. Remind me that this is what I want my life to be about, as much as how I want my January to go! And maybe these characteristics will be my February resolution too.

No comments:

Post a Comment