Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Call me Mrs. King!

Well, after 2 years, 9 months, and 15 days of glorious wedded bliss, today I finally officially changed my name to Elizabeth Jeannette King! I'm officially a King! It's almost embarrassing how easy it was to swing by the Social Security office for a half an hour this morning, marriage license in tow, to make the change official. I suppose because it was so easy to change things at the bank and credit card, insurance, and utility companies, I just wasn't motivated to go, sit, and "fight" with Social Security, but apparently I didn't have anything to worry about!

Another irony I noticed today is that even though I prioritized changing my name officially before Baby King joined us for her birth certificate, I noticed on mine (kept in the same place as the marriage license) that my mom's maiden name was listed! It would be truly ironic if I finally made the change for the purposes of Adria's birth certificate, and were still listed as Peters anyway.

I have to laugh at myself, and the reactions of my close friends, because seriously--2 years, 9 months, and 15 days? That was definitely 2 tax seasons! I suppose now I should also update my driver's license and passport (like I'm going anywhere anytime soon), but it seemed like the only inconvenience happened at tax time, and even then I just had to remember to sign "Peters" instead of King.

Ah well--it's finally done! (I did THINK about going to the DMV today as well, but decided to wait for a day when I felt prettier--license picture and all!) Anyway--you can now officially call me Mrs. King!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you finally made the change...social security may be easy, but the DMV is enough to make me wait! I hate that place. Good luck if you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty sure Ivy's birth certificate has my maiden name on it.

    ReplyDelete