Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sharing in God's Joy

I woke early this morning, which isn't really that unusual, considering I have to go to the bathroom quite frequently these days. But for some reason, about a half an hour before my alarm went off, I awoke, one of those satisfied, awake wakenings. I don't think either Jason or Adria (en utero) were awake yet, so it was still and quiet and comfortable, with no distractions, and I just began to pray. I awoke so thankful this morning, and in my mind's eye saw myself with my arms lifted, spinning before the Lord. I remember how much fun it was to spin in my childhood, and so for me this little visual imagery was such a very joyous and free action before the Lord, and full of adoration and praise. And the words I settled on with God were "Lord, share your joy with me today!" The Joy of the Lord! How incredible a thought that he would lavish and share that with us! How precious a commodity, and how generous to share it! But already in my mind's eye there I was, sharing in it. And for those rare, short moments, I just wallowed in enjoying God and his joy before the day even started. I wonder what the rest of the day will look like, what it might look like for God to share his joy with me. (I even thought with a laugh, well, it might mean that Adria comes today--what greater joy could there be for a parent than to enjoy her child like that--and God IS our Father!)

So often I miss out on joy. I don't look for it, don't expect it, and certainly don't ask for it! I also miss out on enjoying God's presence, whether too tired, or distracted, or embarassed to just let my guard down and go before him, just as I am.

But today I asked. So I wonder what this day will hold for my heart. :)

And here's a nice encouraging verse to go along with these thoughts: "Go and enjoy choice food and sweet drinks, and send some to those who have nothing prepared. This day is sacred to our Lord. Do not grieve, for the joy of the LORD is your strength." Nehemiah 8:10 NIV

1 comment:

  1. What an encouraging post! I remember that feeling too, of spinning around with arms up...what a good picture of what being joyful could look like. And I love that verse. Hope your day was filled with joy!

    ReplyDelete